Tuesday, September 06, 2005

A Question of Things...

I had kind of a rough weekend. One of those that you just end up too annoyed with to even comment on. So I want to highlight two movies real quick today...and perhaps I'll write more later. - Crash is available on DVD/Video now. I haven't seen this yet, but the film examines several different, intertwining story lines that have to do with racism. It's been hailed by critics and Oprah. - Skimming trailers this weekend I found one for a film to be released this fall called Paradise Now. The film tells the story of two life-long friends who live in Gaza and become suicide bombers. The movie moves through the hours before they must make their final sacrifice... Interestingly enough, the last line of the trailer reads: 'Sometimes the most courageous act is what you don't do.' After this weekend I repeat that line to myself over and over and over again. Every day, every minute we are faced with choices. And the choices run shallow to deep from what to put on in the morning, to the choice to get into your car and drive to work, to what we think about and what we value. Sometimes it's even the choice to ask for a little help. The courageous act really can be what you don't do. That you don't put someone else down, when you could just leave them be and say nothing. That you don't assume where assumptions are bound to fail. That you don't do what is only in the best interest of yourself. That you don't expect from yourself more than you are capable of. That you don't, you don't, you don't, you don't... I think about all the choices I have in life. Right down to the choice to wake up or keep on sleeping. It can feel sometimes as though I'm drowning in choices, questions, what is right, what is wrong, why things are how they are... Thankfully...gratefully...a friend helped me see that the most courageous act was not to keep questioning and find the right answer, but to simply not question for the time being. And to...not drown.