Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Real Thin Line

I got to thinking about heroes today. I'm trying to think of whether or not I have any. If one is dead, can one still be considered a hero? If so, then one of mine would be Kate. I wish I'd had the chance to meet or interview her before she died. When everyone my age was watching Freddie Prinze Jr. break hearts, I watched Katharine Hepburn in timeless pieces like Holiday, The Philadelphia Story and The Desk Set. Each time she came on screen, I smiled. She was the essential every woman to me. Strong, independent, with a genuine understanding of herself. "Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get--only what you are expecting to give--which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." The truth is, she is the reason I feel comfortable being a woman at all. "Everyone thought I was bold and fearless, and even arrogant... but inwardly I was always quaking... I've never cared about how afraid I may have been inside--I've always done what I thought I should. " I'm not really at the point where I could give a short, concise background of Kate right here, right now and be poignant at the same time. Maybe I'm not that good of a writer yet or I've just got a busy morning I need to get back to. But I'm glad that I took a minute to think about my hero. Because it allows me to remember the strength and conviction within myself that I need to get through busy hectic days and weeks like this one. On that note - my other hero? Ally McBeal. The fictional character. That's right. Because she's the complete opposite of Kate. And for quotes like these: Even if I did get past all my problems, I'm just gonna get out and get new ones. And... Ally: What kind of rabbi calls somebody bitchy? Rabbi: I'm going to have to ask you to leave. Ally: 'Cause I'm bitchy? God has no love for the bitchy?

No comments: