Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Who Got Ugly...

Alright, it's the same at every bar. And everyone thinks the same thing so don't get all huffy with me and think me some shallow, insensitive person. There are people in high school...you simply could never see again. And then there is the night before Thanksgiving. When they all gather at your hometown bar...and bring your worst recurring nightmare to life. Tomorrow is a big night. When you live in a small town, like I do...it's a very big night. High School reunions don't get this kind of attendance. Graduation didn't get this kind of attendance. I'm not looking forward to it. This year I'm a little more nervous than last year. Last year I had a lot more ammo with me. I had a good job, I'd been working out, tanning and a relatively good hair cut. I also had a crew. I had Rachel and Nicole behind the bar, my older brother Oren, my uncle Dimitri, Stacy, Jon, Mike, Kim...her Mike. It was really a great night. I never really liked high school. I liked a lot of people in it. Okay, not a lot. Those who I liked know I still like them. Because I still talk to them. But other than those people, I hated it. Every year it's the same thing. What are you doing now? Are you married? Any kids? Where do you live? I'm always really excited to say, "nope, not married." and "nope. no kids. no way." But the what are you doing now and the where do you live is going to be tricky. I've got the first one covered. I used to talk a lot of shit in high school about leaving town and living in New York. I still plan on doing it, but obviously, I've gotten side tracked. I don't feel the need to defend my choices in life because they are my choices. Without them, I would not have my crew. Without them, I would not have had the time I've had with my family. For a girl who grew up with no roots...I got my roots. When I unleash my wings, is my business. So the fact that I'm still at that bar every year, stings this time. But I think I'll make it. Because it's not about me. This is high school. It's about who got ugly...and who is still a really big slut... *And since I'm feeling so grateful right at the moment. I want to thank some people: Kim, Mike, Madison, Rachel, Mart, Alexa, Leslie, Stacy, Jon, Devon, Aubrie, Gavin, Bryce - I have friends in many places. And odds are, some of us will spread out over time. But forever you and your families are my foundation. You'll never know how much I've needed that. Thank you.