Monday, June 27, 2005

I'm Siding with the Aliens

I'll be writing more about "Bewitched" and "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" the two movies I saw this weekend that led me to ponder the oh-so-fascinating business that is celebrification/media/entertainment. But for now...I'm backing the Aliens. By now you've heard about the interview between Tom Cruise and Matt Lauer. Ever since Cruise burst back into the limelight not long ago my distaste for him turned to disgust. See it here. Before what would be known as "TomKat Season", I simply disliked Cruise as an actor. I enjoyed maybe two or three movies of his. Which don't really count anyway, as I think he was just a supporting actor to Renee Zellweger and Cuba Gooding Jr. in "Jerry Maguire" (masterfully directed by the great Cameron Crowe) and it was just plain fun to watch Nicole Kidman tower over him in "Far & Away". I'm sure everyone will say there are millions of Cruise movies far better, blah blah blah. I don't care. And pretty soon, I bet you won't either. Cruise has gone completely nuts. Watching the interview sealed the loss of any hope for his sanity to return. "Dr. Cruise" as he likes to be called is continuing his crusade against psychiatry, psychology, Brooke Shields, Post Partum Depression, anyone against Scientology....etc. etc. etc. I for one, hope the aliens that Cruise believes are feeding off of his spirit - or whatever - win. I also hope that the aliens in his new movie "War of the Worlds" blow his head off with a laser. I'll admit that Scientology is a little weird to me, but hey - whatever fries your fish. But in the case of Cruise - his midlife crisis is starting to wane on the world. There's no need for war, Tom...just shut the f*&$ up. And for the love of all that is good and pure - free Katie.