Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Listening to Herbie Mann

I've been working like a dog the last few days, coming home, eating dinner, setting up the laptop and working well into the night. Tonight I needed something easy to listen to so I wouldn't get distracted by the sound of screaming children (upstairs neighbors) or mariachi music (downstairs neighbors). So I popped in some Herbie Mann. Listening to Herbie Mann is like a cross between standing in an elevator and listening to great jazz. Probably because it is great jazz and Mann is one of the worlds greatest jazz flutists. His music reminds me of the party scene in Breakfast At Tiffany's. Anyway, listening to Do The Bossa Nova with Herbie Mann (a big thanks to my uncle Dimitri - the Jazz king who recommended the album) made me think of the Jazz club that Oren and I went to last time I was out in Arizona. (Can you tell I'm dying ot get back there?) So for my friends out in Phoenix AZ - check out the Rhythm Room. It's a great jazz club in Phoenix that's easy to pass by. It's one of those places that is just sitting there with nothing really mentionable around it. It's not impressive from the outside - but it's got great food and inside are die-hard jazz fans. The music is great, the atmosphere is fun and friendly. You'll have a great time. It's a great place to take a date to set a comfortable mood. You can even check out some of the live performances or take them home.

No comments: