Friday, July 08, 2005

To 'too or not to 'too...

I sure can kill a mood. (Somebody please, write Oprah. Tell her to send me to Africa. Or Spain. Or Israel. Or Peru. Or India. I'm really not picky. My restlessness is out of control.) Yesterday I met up with Rachel and Leslie for martinis. After my two gals had downed a few I tossed up the fact that I've been searching lately for volunteer services that take volunteers to Africa or Israel. I know, I know, it's not exactly martini-style conversation... I couldn't help it. The bombings had been yet another event in the world that I was nowhere near with no ability to go there to tell the story. I'd been looking into any services that would pick up a restless 25 year old girl such as myself and ship me off to live in another country and help out. To touch a different piece of the world. "Don't you support your country?" Rachel asked me. To which I answered, "Yes, of course." "Then there you go..." she said. "Why not go to Hawaii?" The conversation didn't really end with any resolution - except for the fact that we were skipping our plans of a movie for a trip to the tattoo/piercing parlor for a new piercing for both Rachel and Leslie. And now I want a tattoo. This is the 2nd time I've taken Rachel and Leslie out for a piercing and the 2nd time I've been pissed that I didn't just say 'to hell with it' and sat down for a little ink. I'm not the tacky type. I just want something symbolic. Right in the middle of my upper back. Nobody would ever really see it. Something like my name in Hebrew or an African or Hindu symbol for strength, or peace or faith. Something meaningful.
So...should I do it? Please somebody...a little advice here... Possibilities: "Om": Sandscrit representing the 4 states of human awareness.

Chinese symbol for "Faith".

My Hebrew name, "Rachel" - To which my friend Brenda replied, "...Because you're afraid you might forget your name someday?"

(Actually, my Hebrew name means a lot to me. When the Jews were in exile, Abraham, Issac and Moshe all asked G-d to show mercy. He would not respond. Then Rachel spoke and G-d said, "A voice is heard on high, wailing, bitter weeping, Rachel weeps for her children...your children will return to their border.")

Don't wait...I feel a little adventurous and might make the decision tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with Leslie that it is your decision alone on what you want to get. I love your Hebrew name and I know you that would mean a lot to you, even throughout life. Not just now...I'm glad your not getting something dumb like a penguin or some other animal on you. I love that you want to be unique and want something that actually means something and not just something that you think other people will like or think is cute.

Oh, and on your list of things...I'm not scared to write to you in fear that you will write something about me. No one really knows who I am so it's perfect. Ha ha...I did something very similar to my website yesterday. I made a list of things too. Weird...Anyways I rambled. Ha ha...Oh, and I always pictured you going somewhere and helping and writing articles and taking pictures. I think it fits you perfectly.

Jessica said...

Aw, well don't I just have the greatest friends? Right now I think I'm at 80% on the Hebrew name in the center of my back...but I think I'm going to wait until after the weekend when Leslie gets back so she and Rachel can go with me.