Friday, November 03, 2006

in my place

Being sick is just like winter. Both are ways God reminds us just who is in charge.

In the winter everything goes slower. The job, the destination, the goal - none of it really matters. What matters is keeping your eyes on the road and your car under control. There's nothing you can do to stop the snow. I wonder if those who have never seen a winter season know what a reminder like that is like. Scraping the windows, letting the engine warm, slowing down for black ice.

Am I rambling? I apologize. I have a fever and could be slightly delirious.

Getting sick is the same thing. God doesn't care if I have a paper due, or laundry piling up or shopping to get done. He's reminding me who wears the pants in our relationship. Today he made it very clear I was to stay in bed. My head full, my joints achey, I took refuge under my blankets until a call from my mother rustled me out of bed. A hot shower later, I was able to make a bagel and some tea.

And couldn't help but think about how God is soooo the boss of me. And he's putting me in my place.

"I can not be sick right now..." I whine. Rachel is sitting next to me in my car. "I know sweetie," she says. "You'll get better." It's just after midnight and she's brought me a hot tub of chicken noodle soup and some Alka Seltzer. That's a friend right there. So far, I'm not a big fan of the Alka Seltzer (still trying to choke it down) but she's getting a medal.

It wasn't just the soup. I have a job, (a couple) and I have school - but none of those people are my people. And often, I miss my people. If I don't get to see them or talk to them for a couple of days, it irks me. I need them. And when I'm sick, sometimes I really need to feel cared for. Chicken soup is good for the soul - but the one who's bringing it to you is even better.

This morning when I woke up, barely able to breathe with what felt like a ton of bricks on my chest, I felt like I was getting some sort of message. Yes, there are plenty of things to do but sometimes whether we like it or not - we have to slow down. We have to just take things as they come. We have to do one thing at a time. And of course, sometimes it's all about the use of our time. Sometimes it's just a matter of focus and where we apply it.

I didn't do anything all day - aside from run out to stock up on Halls, Puffs and Tylenol Cold tablets.

And I do have plenty to do. Somehow, I'll get it done. Not sure how. But I'll figure it out.

And from now on...I'm going to try to take things slower.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WE HOPE YOU GET BETTER ..YOUR FRIENDS FROM WORK