Tuesday, November 21, 2006

something to look forward to

I'm tired.

I'm always tired. But I'm tired.

I wish I could say that I'm back on track after a measly four day trip - but I'm not. I'm behind on deadlines and interviews, behind on homework and behind on laundry. What I need is a kick in the behind. Shut up. You knew that was coming.

Work is terribly slow...not a lot of parts to ship around the Midwest when the automotive industry is shut down for the holiday. So the dispatch quarter is quiet. Even so, I'm not making much of my downtime. I'm contemplating and day dreaming and doing little else. I could be outlining and researching and reading - but once again - I'm not.

This year Kim and I realized we have an alarming lack of tradition when it comes to the holidays. In fact, my only real tradition (besides actually celebrating the holidays) is a friend's annual Christmas Eve party. That's funny. Because I'm Jewish.

So Kim's big idea was to go shopping the day after Thanksgiving. I wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea, as I avoid the mall on a regular day. But she made it sound all sugary sweet and filled with something we were both missing. Whatever magic it is that tradition carries with it.

Actually the idea was to meet up on Thanksgiving night, watch holiday movies and then go shopping in the early morn. But Jessica has to work - so the movies were out. Shopping more convenient - since I'll be up at 5 a.m. anyway. "Maybe after we go shopping, we could go back to the house and bake cookies," I said. Obviously delirious. I'll be waking early on Thanksgiving to make the rounds and eat the food, staying up all night for work and up all day shopping. If I make to the cookies - I am superwoman.

I've picked up blue and white towels for Hannukah, more twinkle lights, including the "two tone" icicle lights with blue and white twinkles on each side. I'll be removing all my fall themed decorations for Hannukah ones - and keep looking for more during our shopping extravaganza. I'll pick up a warmer at Yankee and some Hannukah Night candles, put out my driedles and listen to Israeli music.

I'll bake and try to arrange dinners with friends. Get excited and spend way too much on presents and curse the snow. Because yes, I live in Michigan and understand that I don't get the luxury of complaining - but dammit - the Jews didn't need snow to celebrate their holiday.

And while there is a chance mine & Kim's foray into tradition could go drastically wrong - it's become something for me to look forward to this week - amidst all the other crap we have to deal with day in and day out. Because somewhere in there will be a moment only the two of us could share together...and I've got $10 that it will involve ordering a pizza and a movie and complaining until it's time to go to bed.

And incidentally - let me take this moment to promote the beauty that is the holiday movie genre. There are plenty to enjoy as we jump right into this holiday season, including: Home for the Holidays, Love Actually, The Family Man, The Family Stone, The Nightmare Before Christmas, A Christmas Story, the original Grinch & Serendipity.

Ahh the joys of the holidays.

No comments: