Saturday, February 17, 2007

in truth

Okay, so I've been working on a post for a few days. Trying to capture a moment or a revelation or a new epiphany...

But the truth is - I just can't do it right now.

I will be filling my head with - almost - nothing but Michigan state legislation, aspects of Federalism and Citizenship/Immigration for the next two weeks. A desperate attempt to do well on my midterm and finish my legislative memo before venturing out to Chicago next weekend.

Nevertheless I feel like I have plenty to say...as I've been spending a lot of time with my "dark & twisty" side these past few weeks. An odd thing to do for someone trying to think more positively these days. I just can't seem to help it. I finally cried today. A heavy cry that didn't last long enough but hit as soon as I'd heard my mother's voice on the phone.

It all started with this photograph - in a copy of a National Geographic I picked up a couple of weeks ago. There the human heart sits...in a plastic case...plucked from one chest - waiting to settle into another.

I flip to the photo every day. It's inspiring for some reason. When I think about how complicated the human heart must be...it makes me think that maybe we, okay I, don't need to make it even more so.

That's pretty vague...but it will just have to do...until I figure out what the hell Federalism is.

No comments: